Apricot's link function allows you to create connections between records that may or may not otherwise have a connection. These links between records can be used to improve data quality, improve reporting accuracy, and simplify user workflow.
Wizard Linking is a linking feature that can improve your user workflow. With this feature, links will open the linked form in a pop-up window, allowing a user to fill it out and save it and then return to the original primary record without opening or closing extra tabs.
The record in the example above shows a wizard-style linking field's appearance.
- It has two "wizard links" to some of the Tier 2 records that live in the Tier 1 document folder.
- Clicking the "New" button in one of these links opens a new pop-up window of a new record of the linked form, which can then be filled out, saved, and closed; and then returns the user to this spot where they can continue filling out the base record.
Document Folder After Filling Out Wizard-Style Links
This is what the Tier 1's document folder looks like after creating Tier 2 records with the wizard links.
- Both of the Tier 2 forms under the Tier 1 record have already been filled out. If your users follow a workflow that requires them to create multiple records for a client, this can save them time because it will be like creating just one record - but in effect they will be creating each linked Tier 2 record at the same time.
- These Tier 2 records, even though they were created with wizard links, can be accessed like any traditional Tier 2 record. Users can still use the document folder to create more if needed - they can also create more by accessing the base record and creating more linked records.
Adding a New Wizard Style Link
To add a new wizard style link to an existing form, open that form for editing in Form Designer.
- Expand the black arrow next to Linking to display the link fields.
- Drag a link field into the body of your form.
- Open the link field gear box.
- Under "Linked to," select the form you would like to connect to the form you are editing.
- If you select a relationship that is can be made into a wizard style link (see list below), the Wizard Style checkbox will appear. Select it. Note: If you are linking two Tier 2 forms (that live under the same Tier 1 form) then Same Folder Linking will be applied automatically.
Updating a Traditional Link Field to a Wizard Style Link
- To update an old or traditional link field to become a wizard style link, open the field gear box on a link field.
- If the link field connects forms in a relationship that allows wizard style linking,
- Then you will have the option to make this link relationship into a wizard style link.
- When you are finished, click Apply. You must also publish the form for changes to take affect for your users.
Available Link Relationships for Wizard Style Linking
- Wizard style links can be created for the following link relationships:
- Tier 1 form to unrelated Tier 1 form
- Tier 1 form to related Tier 2 form
- Tier 2 form to related Tier 2 form
2. Wizard style links cannot be created for the following link relationships:
- Tier 1 to unrelated Tier 2
- Tier 2 to unrelated Tier 2
- Wizard Style links cannot be created with the Batch Record Creation tool.
- Wizard Style links will only create new records. They cannot be used to connect existing records.
Note: Wizard Links do not stack (you can't open a second wizard link from an open wizard linked form)